We’ve all heard about positive affirmations. Using them sounds like a great idea, but how do you actually create an affirmation and use it to your advantage? Affirmations can be a powerful tool to enhance your thinking and results. It might seem silly to repeat statements that you view as essentially untrue, but give it a try for a month and measure the results for yourself.
It can take time to see the benefits. A few days isn’t enough. Give yourself a full month. I guarantee you will be amazed at your results!
Sign up for my FREE 30 Day Positive Affirmation Program and get FREE Report: “The Power of Positive Affirmations for success and happiness”
Create a new life and way of thinking through the power of affirmations:
- Determine your negative beliefs. The best way to create positive affirmations that work for you is to determine where your current thinking is holding you back. Spend a day and focus on your self-talk. Make a note of all the negative thoughts you think throughout the day. Write them down.
- Create your affirmations based on your negative beliefs. Affirmations should be stated in the present and in a positive manner. For example:
- “I don’t have any friends” becomes “I make friends quickly and easily.”
- “I can’t get in shape” becomes “I find it easy to eat well, exercise, and lose weight.”
- Spend the time to create affirmations that address all of your negative thoughts.
- Record your affirmations so you can listen to them. You’ll want to be able to listen to your affirmations in the car, at home, or on the go. Record them into your cell phone or iPod-type device. Whatever works for you is fine. Even record a FaceTime movie and speak directly to yourself.
- Have a written record of your affirmations, too. Keep a copy with you and post other copies where you’ll see them: at work, in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and your locker at the gym. Choose places that make sense for your lifestyle. Watch you FaceTime movie to yourself.
- Never pass up the opportunity to listen to or read your affirmations. Stuck in line at the store? Pull out your iPod or list of affirmations and listen or read. Use your spare time to recite your affirmations to yourself. Pin them up on the wall above your computer. Put stickies in the fridge or on the bathroom mirror!
- The time right before falling asleep and right after waking up are most important. Your brain is more receptive to suggestion during these times. Use them to your advantage. It only takes a few minutes. You might even find that you sleep better.
- Notice your successes. The changes you experience will be very subtle. You probably won’t even recognize them unless you’re looking for them. Once a week, sit down and think about your life. Ask yourself how things are improving. What positive changes are you seeing?
- Keep a list of your successes. Keep a success journal so you don’t forget about the progress you’ve made. You’re already good at keeping track of your failures, so do the same for your successes. Whenever negative thinking creeps in be sure to review your successes to keep them fresh in your mind. Visit your success journal as part of your daily practice to keep your self-esteem soaring! Success leads to more success, so keep track so you can see your progress!
- Repeat the entire process as needed. That’s Right, rinse and repeat. Over time, you’ll develop new, negative self-talk and you will want to stay on top of it at all times. Use it to your advantage. Add new affirmations to your list and use them. Your self-talk will become less negative as you become more aware of it. This is a process you can use throughout your lifetime.
If you’ve never given affirmations a try, you’re in for a surprise. As simple as affirmations can be, it can be challenging to get started. Avoid allowing your resistance to stop you. Be creative in how you work them into your life. Have fun finding new ways to incorporate them into your daily practice and your life routine.
After reading this article it is my hope that you forge ahead and give affirmations your best effort for just a month. To make it really easy: DOWNLOAD my FREE Report entitled “The Power of Positive Affirmations for success and happiness” available at THIS LINK.
Affirmations are a simple method to tame your negative self-talk and turn it around to use for your advantage.
Aeriol Ascher, Speaker, Performing Artist, Energy Activist, Voice & Presence Coach